Sept. 25, 5 to 9 p.m., Sept. 26, 5 to 9 p.m.
Wizard of Oz Casting Call
LCT announces auditions for our 2023 holiday production of The Wizard of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum, music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg, with additional background music by Herbert Stothart.
- Auditions will be held at the Weber Center for the Performing Arts Monday, September 25th from 5:00pm – 9:00pm, and Tuesday, September 26th from 5:00pm – 9:00pm.
- Callbacks will be held Wednesday, September 27th from 6:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Rehearsals will begin on October 9th.
For Children Ages 6-13
- Children ages 6-13 are eligible to be Munchkins.
- They will audition at either 5:00pm or 5:30pm Monday and Tuesday.
- Parents, sign up for only 1 Audition Slot here. Make sure you fill out the audition form, you will be auto-directed there after choosing a time slot. If the redirect fails, the audition form can be found here.
- Please use the following link, Munchkin Audition Files, to find the music we will be singing at the audition. In the folder, you will find sheet music, a lyric sheet, a melody only recording, 2 melody with accompaniment recordings, and an accompaniment only recording.
- These resources are here to help your child learn the song prior to the audition.
- All Munchkins will sing a section of music from “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.”
- On audition day: Arrive at the Weber Center lobby at least 10 minutes before your child’s scheduled audition time, and then they will be directed to the audition space.
- Only the child auditioning will be allowed in the audition room. They are allowed to have their sheet music or lyric sheet for the audition. The entire group will go in together, sing the audition song a few times as a whole group with the Music Director and Accompanist, and then sing the song again in smaller groups.
- After we have heard everyone sing in small groups, the auditioner is done for the day.
- We will not have Callbacks for Munchkins.
For Ages 14+
- Ages 14+ will audition Monday and Tuesday starting at 6:00pm until 9:00pm.
- Please sign up for only 1 Audition Slot here. Make sure you fill out the audition form, you will be auto-directed there after choosing a time slot. Fill out this form as accurately as possible including all roles you are interested in and all conflicts. If the redirect fails, the audition form can be found here.
- There are only 3 audition times per day for ages 14+: 6:00pm, 7:00pm, or 8:00pm.
- Please use the following link, Wizard of Oz Audition Files, to find the Audition Music. In the folder, you will find sheet music, a melody only recording, 2 melody with accompaniment recordings, and an accompaniment only recording.
- Pick 1 of the given Audition Songs to sing at your audition. Pick 1 song for the role you are most interested in. You will be considered for all the roles you marked on your Audition Form based on that 1 song.
- Please practice the audition cut prior to your audition.
- On audition day: Arrive at the Weber Center lobby at least 10 minutes before your scheduled audition time, and please bring clothes you are comfortable dancing in. You will check in at the table on the first floor of the Weber Center.
- You will vocally audition one at a time at the top of the hour. An accompanist will be provided. You are allowed to have the sheet music with you. We will not teach you the music on the day of the audition.
- After we have heard everyone sing during that time slot, the whole group will learn a dance combination.
- After choreography is taught, the production team will watch everyone dance in small groups.
- Once choreography is over, your audition is complete.
- Please watch out for further communication including a Callback List late Tuesday Night or Early Wednesday morning.
Unable to Attend in Person?
- If you are unable to attend auditions in person, please fill out the Audition Form and submit a video recording with you performing one of the audition songs to [email protected] by 4:00pm on Tuesday, September 26th. If you have any videos of you dancing jazz, musical theatre, or tap, please feel free to submit those as well. Late submissions will not be considered.
- If you are unable to attend callbacks, please state that on your audition form. We will be in contact about next steps.
Please contact [email protected] with questions about auditions and callbacks.
- FOR ALL, focus on acting/connecting/expression! Perform for us like you’re performing in your living room, on stage, or for your cat/dog/hamster/etc. Perfection not expected!
- Come in and have fun! Show us your personality.
- Practice the song you are going to audition with before you come into the audition room.
- Listen or watch the musical and become familiar with the characters.
- Check-out a perusal copy of the script prior to auditions.
- Do your best and have a good attitude in the audition room.
- WE ARE ROOTING FOR YOU! Remember to also root for yourself and put your best foot forward.
- After Callbacks are completed on Wednesday the 27th, we will be in contact with all auditioners. If you do not receive a callback, we are still considering you for the show, or we have already cast you in a role. You will be emailed offering you a role, or you will receive an email thanking you for auditioning. If you were offered a role, please sign your contract, decline the role, or contact [email protected] directly if you have questions.
WIZARD OF OZ CHARACTER BREAKDOWN
DOROTHY GALE: female-presenting or nonbinary, 13-23 (Mezzo/Mix) Young Kansas girl, earnest, expressive, and strong-willed, in search of something more. Singing and dancing required.
TOTO: (puppeteer any gender 14+) Dorothy’s dog. He is loyal, protective, observant, intuitive, curious, and adventurous. This role will require puppetry and dancing.
HUNK / SCARECROW: Any, 18+ (Tenor) Plucky and clever in a pinch, even while lacking a brain. Strong actor with an honest quality. Singing and dancing required
HICKORY / TIN WOODMAN: Any, 18+ (Baritone) Desperate for a heart. A kind-hearted romantic. Singing and dancing including tap required.
ZEKE / COWARDLY LION: Any, 18+ (Baritone) A mix of bravado and cowardice. Should move well. Excellent comic timing. Singing and dancing required
ALMIRA GULTCH / WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST: Any, 30+. Character villain with an over-the-top stage presence. Excellent comic actress, has a killer cackle. Non-Singing.
PROFESSOR MARVEL / THE WIZARD: Male-presenting, 50+. Older father figure with an eccentric flair. Basic magic tricks or sleight of hand a bonus. Non-Singing.
GLINDA: female-presenting, 25+. Glinda is the Good Witch of the North. Benevolent and beloved. Singing required.
AUNT EM : female-presenting, 30+. Aunt Em is demanding, but loves her niece. Possible Singing required if the character doubles as Glinda.
UNCLE HENRY: male-presenting, 40+. Dorothy’s pleasant uncle. Non-singing. This role could possibly double as the Emerald City Guard, which would require singing.
EMERALD CITY GUARD: Any, 40+. (Baritone) Strong comedic actor, big presence. This role could double as Uncle Henry.
MUNCHKINS: children ages 6-13. The little people of Munchkinland. Long oppressed, and happy to be freed, the Munchkins will (mostly) be played by children. Group singing and coordinated movement required. Dance experience is a plus, but not necessary. There are some featured roles among the munchkins, such as The Coroner, The Lollipop Guild, and The Lullaby League.If your child is cast only as a Munchkin, they will bow at Intermission. They do not need to stay until the end of the show to bow.
WINKIES / FLYING MONKEYS / OZIANS / ADULT MUNCHKINS/ POPPIES/ GHOSTS/ JITTERBUGS: adults and teens, age 14+. The adult chorus of the show, with featured speaking/vocal/dancing roles available. Singing and movement required. Multiple Dance styles will be learned.